The Backyard Bard is a Christian Theatre Company.
We aim to honour Jesus with all that we do.
All that we produce will be influenced by the Gospel in regard to our content and conduct,
and the majority of what we produce will be solely focused on pointing people to the Gospel.
- We believe that the Gospel the story and message of Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the central content of the Gospel is as follows:
- That Jesus is the God the Son who entered human history, fully human and fully God.
- That Jesus died as our substitute to pay for our sin and rebellion from God.
- That Jesus physically rose from the dead, is now seated with God the Father in heaven and has given the Holy Spirit to those who believe His message.
- That Jesus' message is to turn from our sin and trust in His death and resurrection as the only hope for forgiveness and reconciliation with God.
- That Jesus will return as Judge, bringing salvation to all those who trust in Him and establishing His kingdom forever.
(Mark 1:15, 1 Corinthians 15)
- We believe that the Bible is a collection of God-inspired writings, following God's dealings with humanity. (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:19-21)
- We believe that the Bible is the ultimate authority in regard to God, humanity and life in general. (2 Timothy 3:15-17)
- We believe that all of the Bible points to Jesus and the Gospel. (Luke 24:27, 44-47)
- We believe that Biblical Storytelling has great value because a large percentage of the Bible is story and was written within an oral culture.
- We believe that Biblical Storytelling has a great ability to clearly express truth in way that is appealing and engaging to a post-modern culture.
- We believe that all Christians are Biblical Storytellers in the sense that we are all called to know and share the good news about Jesus' life, death and resurrection. (Matthew 28:19-20)
- We believe that the creative arts are a meaningful form of expression, exploration and praise which can be a godly reflection of the creative nature and character of God. (Genesis 1)
- In saying this, we believe that the creative arts are not merely a goal in themselves, but are a powerfully effective tool that can be used to engage people with the truth. (1 Corinthians 9:19-23, 10:31-33)